Perform Europe Opening Event
The European Festivals Association together with its co-iniating partners IETM, Circostrada, European Dance Network and IDEA Consult invite you to join the Opening Event of Perform Europe on 28 January at 14:00 PM CET on Zoom.
Perform Europe is an innovative and highly-anticipated project for the performing arts sector which will support experiments to find more sustainable ways for international touring of performing arts works - physical and digital - in all the Creative Europe countries. The overall aim? To design future support schemes for the sector.
Watch the recordings of the opening event and the "Imagine the Future" Talks to understand better how festivals can benefit from and contribute to this project.
1. Plenary opening: setting the stage for Perform Europe
Time: 14:00 - 15:00 PM CET
Open to all
Open to anyone upon registration, the Plenary Opening will introduce the project’s guiding values and vision and the opportunities it will provide for performing arts professionals from all backgrounds and horizons in all the Creative Europe countries.
- Welcome and introduction to Perform Europe
Host: Tundé Adefioye, Lecturer, Essayist, Workshop Facilitator and Dramaturg, Belgium
- Introductory notes by the European Commission
Perform Europe from an EU perspective and its importance in the current European performing arts touring landscape.
Speaker: Barbara Gessler, Head of Unit Creative Europe, Directorate General for Education and Culture, European Commission, Belgium
- Keynote on transnational performing arts circulation
The Keynote will trigger our thinking with some personal reflections on the needs and visions of transnational performing arts circulation from the point of view of an artist.
Speaker: Eleanor Bauer, Dancer, Choreographer and Performer, Sweden
- Perform Europe’s trajectory: step-by-step introduction by the Perform Europe partners
Partners of Perform Europe will give an in-depth overview of the project’s 18-month trajectory, its research phase, digital platform, touring opportunities, policy recommendations and more.
- Ása Richardsdóttir, IETM, Belgium
- Joris Janssens, IDEA Consult, Belgium
- Kathrin Deventer, European Festivals Association, Belgium
- Pia Krämer, European Dancehouse Network, Belgium
- Stéphane Segreto-aguilar, Circostrada, France
- Elena Polivtseva, IETM, Belgium
- Q&A with participants and closing remarks
2. 'Imagine the future' Talks
Time: 15:15 -17:00 PM CET
Maximum capacity: 80 participants
Following the Plenary Opening Event, Perform Europe invites 80 sector representatives and policy-makers to exchange their views and expectations in regards to envisaging some elements for a future support scheme for the distribution of the performing arts in Europe.
Due to limited capacity (80 participants), participation in these Talks is subject to confirmation after applying. We will ensure diversity of perspectives, experiences, expertise and opinions around the table.
Application deadline for the Talks: 22 January at 16:00 CET
* 15:15 - 15:40 PM CET > Introduction and conversations
After welcoming the participants, we will hold conversations outlining the context in which performing arts distribution is happening today.
- Working conditions and distribution of the performing arts with Anita Debaere, Pearle*, Director, Belgium
- Cultural mobility in Europe: gaps and disbalances with Marie Fol, On the Move, President, Belgium
- Kathrin Deventer, EFA, Belgium
- Elena Polivtseva, IETM, Belgium
* 15:40 - 16:05 CET > Thematic insights
- Access for disabled artists to the touring landscape in Europe with Ben Evans, British Council, Head of Arts and Disability (Project: Europe Beyond Access), UK
- Digital distribution with Karen Toftegaard, CEO, WILDTOPIA, Denmark
- Rural touring with Ralph Lister, Take Art, Chief Executive (Project: SPARSE - Supporting and Promoting Arts in Rural Settlements of Europe), UK
* 16:05 - 16:45 CET > Brainstorm
In break-out rooms, participants will discuss how touring can be made more sustainable and inclusive, and what opportunities and solutions digital innovations offer in this regard.
* 16:45 - 17:00 CET > Wrap-up moment and Looking ahead
The insights will be shared during the wrap-up moment, and later on will be used for the initial conception of the future Perform Europe platform and scheme.
Perform Europe is co-initiated by a consortium of 5 organisations: IETM, Circostrada, European Festivals Association, European Dancehouse Network and Idea Consult.
Perform Europe is funded by the Creative Europe programme of the European Commission.