How we do it
As the network for festivals by festivals, the European Festivals Association (EFA) has developed a strong mission to benefit its members:
Inspiring, nurturing, exchanging, informing
- EFA gathers dynamic minds from all over the world who are ready to engage, reflect and be inspired by each other’s’ experiences.
- EFA highlights the role of festivals in societal developments as they give artists a platform to experiment and take risks which leads to questioning realities and bridging communities.
- EFA promotes the role of festivals as pioneers of artistic creation and societal change as they raise questions and share narratives and visions through artistic expressions.
- EFA members gain deeper insights into festival making around the globe and contribute to this story telling activity.
- EFA connects festival colleagues and partners from across the globe creating physical and virtual networking opportunities.
- EFA offers its members the opportunity to work together, learn from each other, create alliances, trust and friendship, and show solidarity in their support of one another.
- EFA facilitates opportunities for successful artistic, financial and political partnerships.
Information and Communication
- EFA ensures a continuous loop of information between the association and its members, the broader public and the media.
- EFA informs members about current trends and developments in festivals.
- EFA provides contacts to the international cultural press, networks, ministries, public authorities and EU institutions.
- EFA increases visibility of members through a broad mix of communication tools and actions and brings every single member to the attention of the international festival community.
Knowledge and Training
- EFA nurtures the exchange of knowledge and expertise through international and intergenerational training programmes, specifically aimed at the professional development of young festivals managers and producers.
- EFA encourages the sharing of experiences among peers.
- EFA offers first-hand access to newly released studies and allows for involvement in research activities.
- EFA acts prominently in the wider political debate creating opportunities for festivals to connect their local needs to the broader European and international contexts.
- EFA is a reputable and proactive network that shapes cultural policy developments bringing the strong expertise of festivals rooted in actual practice to the policy making discussion process.
- EFA represents diverse voices from diverse realities while bringing across a joint message.
Flander Festival Gent: Ode Gand (©Werner Vermeylen)
Inspiring, nurturing, exchanging, informing is what a network does to shape a better future with all for the greater good. Keeping this integrity is the main driving force of EFA.