The European Festivals Association (EFA) has been uniting distinguished music, dance, theatre and multidisciplinary arts festivals from Europe and beyond for more than 60 years. EFA’s members are the core element that make the Association an open, influential, international place for any festival that wants to be part of a bigger festival community.
Festivals have been working across borders and cultures since the dawn of festivals, before Europe was a project of unity, before Europe was a space that aimed to facilitate cross-border exchanges. EFA brings festivals together to inspire one another, fosters an exchange of knowledge, helps festivals to speak with one strong voice to shape policy developments, increases networking opportunities, and keeps festivals informed about issues at stake in the festival and cultural world, all under the flag of artistic excellence and internationalisation.
EFA and its members are connected by common beliefs that guide and strengthen the work of festivals in their local contexts.
- We believe that inspired, experienced festival directors who have dedicated their lives to producing intellectual, emotional and aesthetic value can have a stronger voice and greater impact when united in a dynamic group.
- We believe that such a diverse group of festivals learning from each other, creating alliances, trust and friendship can inspire and empower every single element.
- We believe that this group of extraordinary people can jointly have a positive impact on the construction of the cultural heritage of tomorrow.
- We believe that festivals can be important actors in societal development, in changing the world for the greater good, as they provide a platform for artistic expression and bring communities together.
- We believe that festivals have a responsibility in the development of the common, multicultural, free space Europe is.
- We believe that festivals need to invest into shaping policy developments that allow them better conditions to continue their important work and have a responsibility to share their expertise to improve legislation.
- We believe that a respected and pioneering network can offer and facilitate an exchange of knowledge and information broadening every single member’s perspective.
- We believe that investing in training and the development of human capital generates better conditions for the arts to flourish.
- We believe that international collaboration between various regions worldwide – Europe, Asia, the Arab World, Africa, Latin America – is important and that festivals are key actors that can open these doors.
- We believe in creating networking opportunities to connect inspiring minds from the cultural fields and beyond.
- We believe that telling festival stories from all over the world, sharing them through various communication channels and making them accessible to the broadest public serves the visibility of each single member.
These common beliefs are what makes EFA the right place to stand together.