Gdansk Shakespeare Festival concludes with the verdict of the Golden Yorick Competition
6 August 2018
On 5 August 2018 the 22. Gdansk Shakespeare Festival concluded with the 25th Golden Yorick Award. Two productions received a distinction by the jury of professors Jacek Kopciński and Joanna Krakowska along with Jacek Wakar.
The Musical Theatre Capitol, Wrocław was awarded for their visually startling and physically arresting production of “Macbeth” directed by Agata Duda-Gracz.
The Song of the Goat Theatre impressed the jury for a finely nuanced evocation blending music and vocal expression in their production of “Hamlet, a commentary” directed by Grzegorz Bral.
ShakespeareOFF 2018 verdict
After careful consideration of the 12 entries in the ShakespeareOFF competition, 2018 the jury comprised of Agata Duda Gracz, Piotr Kruszczyński and Adam Nalepa has decided to divide the award of 8.000 PLN into 4 equal parts as follows:
– For displaying excellence in the craft of acting using to fine effect a lively refreshing approach to the true narrative tradition, a prize of 2.000 PLN is awarded to RADA for their production of “Two Gentlemen of Verona”
– For a learical testament and timely warning on the dangers of power, a prize of 2.000 PLN is awarded to the cast and creative team from Rozbark Theatre for their production “bless the king, non_lyrical song”
– For an audacious interpretation undermining Hamlet’s mask, a prize of 2.000 PLN is awarded to the cast and creative team behind S. Wyspiański National Academy of Theatre Arts in Kraków’s production of “Hamlet”
– For a measured reflection on an everpresent emotive theme, a prize of 2.000 PLN is awarded to Bakałarz Theatre, Kraków for their production of “Hatred”
– the prize of/ in the amount of 2.000 PLN for the overall performance and bestowing a mug to Hamlet goes to actors, director and set designer of “Hamlet” from S. Wyspiański National Academy of Theatre Arts in Kraków
Audience Jury Verdict:
The following have been awarded by the audience jury after seeing the entries in the ShakespeareOFF Competition 2018.
For consistency in developing dramatic tension and creating a palpable mood in keeping with contemporary concerns around intolerance, the Audience Prize 2018 of 700 PLN is given to Bakałarz Theatre, Kraków for their production of “Hatred”.
For a beautifully rendered exploration of evil the following distinction in a form of a symbolic 300 PLN has been given to Accademia Teatrale di Roma Compagnia Giovani, Italy for their production of “Riccardo. Long live the king.”
„Shakespeare Daily” festival newspaper verdict:
„Shakespeare Daily” newspaper award of 1000 PLN has been awarded to “Hamlet” by Unteatru from Romania for proving that the most famous of all theatre monologues “to be or not to be” doesn’t have to be said by the Danish Prince to be deeply moving.