European ShakeSphere 2024 Call for Artists!
26 October 2023
… spherical, like a globe; I could find out countries in her.
Comedy of Errors
This is a call for Shakespeare related performance work, from the world theatre community.
European Shakespeare Festivals Network (ESFN) is delighted to announce the call for the third Shakesphere programme, following the successful presentations of:
- Romeo and Juliet and other catastrophic love affairs, dir. Rolf Alme (Norway)-2022
- The Tragedy of Macbeth, dir. Henry Maynard (UK)–2023
which were selected from a wide range of international proposals.
The ESFN (European Shakespeare Festivals Network) brings together the key festivals across Europe who present Shakespeare from an international perspective. Our mission is to encourage collaboration across the various festivals, and to develop new opportunities and possibilities for theatre and performance makers who want to work with Shakespeare..
The ESFN is delighted to announce a competition call for a small-scale production which will be invited to the member festivals during 2024.
This is a world-wide call to find the most exciting and innovative international work.
The production can be a reworking of a Shakespeare text or a piece derived from Shakespeare’s plays.
- It must be around 60-80 minutes in length.
- There must be a maximum of 5 in the total touring company and at least 2 actors – this is not a call for a solo show.
- There should be no touring set, basic elements such as chairs or stage blocks, can be provided by the festivals, and all props and costumes should be able to travel with the actors as standard luggage in no more than 2 normal suitcases.
Four participating festivals are confirmed in 2024 and in addition other member festivals may choose to programme the selected work:
- York International Shakespeare Festival (UK) 19-28 April 2024
- Shakespeare Festival in Neuss (Germany) 4-25 May 2024
- Craiova International Shakespeare Festival (Romania) 16-26 May 2024
- Gdańsk Shakespeare Festival (Poland) 26 July-4 August 2024
To apply, you must be available to perform at all four of
the festivals above
You can find out more information about all the festivals, their dates at www.esfn.eu
TO APPLY IS SIMPLE
We need two documents and a short video
You should send:
1. a cv of your company and your previous achievements,
2. a one page statement of your idea for this performance.
These two documents are critical as this is what all the
judges may see.
These two documents should be in English.
In your statement you must confirm that you are available and able to perform at all four of the festivals who are currently participating.
If you would prefer to send a video of your one-page statement, then this must be no longer than 3 minutes. We do require your cv as a written document.
The call for applications is open until midnight on 31 October 2023.
The successful production will be announced by December 2023.
Send your application by email to SHAKESPHERE@ESFN.EU
In case of any questions regarding the call, contact: email@example.com
You can download call here ESFN Shakesphere call 2024.docx